In light of the upcoming SPD Party Congress starting in Berlin on Friday this week, the S&D Group president Iratxe García Pérez, together with other S&D Group MEPs, will participate in tomorrow’s ‘International Conference of SPD and PES’ being held at the Willy-Brandt Haus.
Commenting on the upcoming visit, Iratxe García Pérez said:
“Congratulations to the newly-designated SPD co-leaders Norbert Walter-Borjans and Saskia Esken. We very much look forward to working with you and the whole SPD on building a more progressive and sustainable Europe.
“In light of today’s global challenges and our pressure for a European Green New Deal, which became the flagship initiative of the new EU Commission under the leadership of our Commissioner Frans Timmermans, a close cooperation between our Group and the national parties is of key importance. We must ensure the ecological, economic and social sustainability of the EU and we are ready to work on a progressive future based on solidarity for all. It is high time to turn the Green New Deal into reality and transform our societies in a holistic way so that nobody feels left behind.”
The delegation from the S&D Group will be composed of several S&D MEPs, including:
· Katarina Barley, MEP and Vice-President of the EP
· Robert Biedroń, MEP and Chair of the Polish Wiosna Party
· Udo Bullmann, MEP and SPD Representative for European Affairs
· Jens Geier, Head of the SPD Delegation to the EP
· Heléne Fritzon, Vice-President of the S&D Group and Head of the Swedish Social Democratic Delegation
· Sergei Stanishev, MEP and President of the Party of European Socialists and former Prime Minister of Bulgaria